History

Look Around the Pre-Hotel Chicago Athletic Association

Take a peek at Chicago Athletic Association before the hotel renovation


Before The Chicago Athletic Association, the all-men’s sport and social club that opened in 1893, finally closed its doors in 2007 and before it became the luxurious 241-room boutique hotel we know today, photographer Ron Gordon snapped some shots of the historic building.

Look through the slideshow above to see the first-floor pool, now covered up, the original basketball court and mezzanine running track, grand wood-paneled sitting rooms, trophy cases, stained glass, marble, mosaics, statues and more. Fortunately a lot of the details have been preserved, but it’s still like looking back at a bygone era.

From The Vault

Hark! To the Market We Go! Holiday Shop Locally Extreme Planet with Carsten Peter Water Taxis Get Down With Artist Cody Hudson Cindy's Launches Lunch! Tuesdays on the MCA Terrace Chicago Opens it Doors