Before Vienna Beef hot dogs were ubiquitous in Chicago, the Vienna Sausage Company first opened shop in 1894 after Austro-Hungarian immigrants Emil Reichel and Sam Ladany first introduced their hot dog at the World’s Fair in 1893. The plant was located at 417 S. Halsted, but the street address eventually was changed to 1217 S. Halsted in what is now University Village. It was adjacent to the famous Maxwell Street Market and advertised that it manufactured the celebrated Vienna bolognas and sausages, as noted in the above photo from Calumet412.com. These days, Vienna Beef, which is now located at the intersection of Fullerton, Damen and Elston, manufactures a range of meats, deli products, condiments, pickles and soups. And to think it got it start right around the same time The Chicago Athletic Association opened.