Classic Chicago

The Everleigh Club

Patrons to the Everleigh Club knew that after calling CA-lumet 412, the phone number led to the famous "sporting club" a.k.a. brothel...


This brothel was frequented by the world’s most powerful men — millionaires, politicians, dignitaries — they were guaranteed a good night. Lauded over by sisters Ada and Minna Everleigh from 1900 to 1914 at 2131-33 S. Dearborn in the First Ward’s Levee District, the Everleigh was the world’s most glamorous brothel. Its girls were referred to as “butterflies” (some more well known were Brick Top, Doll and Suzy Poon Tang, an Asian darling who gave rise to that otherwise lovely term) and the term “to get laid” came from people saying they would go to the club “to get Everleighed.” Thanks to local blog Calumet 412  for always paying homage to the Everleigh sisters and their infamous legacy.

From The Vault

Latinicity Opens at Block 37 Chicago's Music Scene in the '90s Talking Calamansi With Nandini
 No Need For a Rain Check — We've Got You Covered! Spirit-free Drinks on the Rise at Cindy's Mucca Pazza's Playlist Movies in the Park is Back Lighting Up Michigan Avenue