Unless you’ve been living under a rock the last few months, you likely have heard the Grateful Dead — along with Phish’s Trey Anastasio and Bruce Hornsby — have reunited for a set of 50th anniversary shows at Soldier Field. It’s been 20 years since iconic frontman Jerry Garcia passed away and the band’s last shows were right here in Chicago at the very same venue.
While these are the hottest tickets around and sold out fast (don’t worry, you likely can get some on second-hand seller sites or wait and go to Shakedown Street in the parking lot), there’s plenty of other Dead- and jam-band related happenings in town between July 2 and 5. You can catch live streams of the show at places like City Winery and Redmoon Theater, but there’s more. Here’s just a few of the many options, but check out The Barn Presents and Live for Music for truly stellar extensive lists.
- Thievery Corporation at the Aragon Ballroom
- Busted on Bourbon Street with Ivan Neville, Papa Mali, Big Chief Monk Boudreaux, Tony Hall, Willie Green, Marc ‘Buddha’ Balsam at The Metro.
- Antibalas at Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park
- Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe and Robert Randolph at Concord Music Hall
- Rebirth Brass Band at House of Blues
- Jackie Green at Space (in Evanston)
- Railroad Earth at Concord Music Hall
- Particle at Lincoln Hall
- Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes at Thalia Hall
- Dead on the Water Yacht Party on the Spirit of Chicago
- Jerry Garcia Tribue with Steve Kimock and Jackie Green
- Joan Osborne Brunch Show at City Winery